Monday 9 September 2013

Marimekko pear tea towels

I saw these great pear tea towels by Marimekko today, for sale in Heals:



I love the simplicity of the design.




I've been a fan of Marimekko before I saw these images. Marimekko is a design company from Finland who hand-screenprinted all their textiles during the 1960s.  Perhaps their most well-known design is this one, called Unikko, designed by Maija Isola:



One thing I love about Marimekko designs is that although they are now a global textile and interior design company, their designs are brilliantly simple and look like they could be printed at home by hand - those pear designs could be printed with a stencil or screenprinted with a couple of paper stencils. And I mean that as a compliment - as I say, I love the simplicity of these designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment