Friday 19 September 2014

meditation and art

In 2012 I made this small print, 'body scan':


It's about how meditation anchors me.

I think meditation is helpful in life and art. I try to meditate every morning (but don't always succeed!). I like to meditate either on developing compassion or noticing the breath, and sometimes just a grounding body scan meditation where I focus my attention on my body and its connection to the earth, its weight on the ground.

It's relaxing and it increases my awareness. Part of making art is noticing and recording experiences and feelings, so increased awareness helps with this. Also, for me, art is transformative. When I express the thing that I'm trying to say through art, I can move on from that subject, in a developmental way.

Meditation or mindfulness and art are very much linked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment